Thanks for the info.

FWIW, it probably doesn't have to be that way.  The shading 'math', as
you put it, should already be a function of the observer's position,
in which case some conditional logic might take care of that.

I might try to find the code for this.  In the meantime, I'll just
draw two opposite single-sided surfaces.

Drew