* Josh Babcock -- Saturday 04 June 2005 19:14:
> Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> >       $ convert foo.jpeg -compress RLE sgi:foo.rgb

> How does one strip out alpha channels again?

Don't know with "convert", although I would be surprised if it weren't
able to. I use KDE for that. You can load the image in kolourpaint and
save it again, which makes some textures a lot smaller. I've got an
external program (compilable under KDE only [1]) that does this from the
command line (and even compress a little more). Doesn't look like you
are a KDE guy, though.  :-)

m.

[1] http://members.aon.at/mfranz/rle.tar.gz  [5.5 kB]
    $ make rle

    Usage:  rle [--description <string>] file(s)

    $ ./rle foo.jpg bar.png
    ... creates  foo.rgb and bar.rgb