Le vendredi 17 juin 2005 à 22:53 +0800, yue xianf a écrit :

> >< Hi every one:
> >
> >< any one can give me some hint about how to run the MS FS models under
> >< flightgear?
> >< I have searched for long time, It is said Wolfram's manual can help,
> >< http://home.t-online.de/home/Wolfram.Kuss/,this websit  looks
> >< and also is Germany
> >< I don't understand.
> >
> >< I very appreciate your help.
> >
> >< Clifford Yue
> >
> >  Yes I can help in detail,

  Hello Clifford

You will find as attached document the very beginning of
How to :for conversion  (importing) from MSFS to Flightgear

i don't know if that first draft will help you.
You will discover, a such manipulation is rather difficult.
Tell us what is missing for you

Gerard

>From Gerard Robin   ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  to FlightGear community
====================================================================================================
That document is only an quick help, it should be improved

The purpose of FlightGear is to offer a realistic flight simulator which gives
to anybody, opportunity and facilities to manipulate every aircraft
characteristics parameters.
One could prefer to spend the best of is time to that technical aspect, to test
these parameters with a nice 3D model,rather than loosing is time to make model.

Only, for a home usage, converting a .mdl Aircraft is an opportunity. He can
get quickly, a model which is yet existing  ( most of these models are
protected by copyriht)

====================================================================================================

You are supposed to know:
       how to place a 3D model in the FlightGear world
       how to use the FG properties and animate a 3D model
       how to build a flight dynamic model with Yasim or JSBSim or Uiuc or
Larcsim .....

A====Overview.

The processing of an Aircraft.mdl format depend on the PLIB library
functionality.
PLIB being used by FlightGear.

That library contains the input function, which gives the possibility to
extract from a “.mdl format” the full vertex and faces definitions of a
model. The texture coordinates are kept.

That library contains the output functions, for translation in others 3D
formats, the mains format are:  .ac, .dxf,.3ds and others
(the full list can be seen in the PLIB source-->plib/src/ssg/...).

The mdl animations are not converted .

This help-description is Plib 1.8.4 related to.
It has been experimented under Linux, only, we cannot guaranty his full
availability under others operating system (however it should do, because of
the portability of FlightGear, and Plib)

We will see in the next chapters:
      -limitations of these resources and how to use directly a “.mdl
model” in FlightGear, without any external translation.
      -how to convert a “mdl model”

B=====Limitations and how to use directly a mdl model.

One same extension name define in fact several .mdl format,
They are not compatible, they  are on the MS FS side dedicated to, FS98 or
FS2000 or FS2002 or FS2004  and MS Player has to try to convert the old models
to get it running on newer Flying simulator game.

The static part of the Aircraft.mdl is supposed to be existing in a “.bgl
format”, encapsulated in the.mdl format

PLIB looks for the .static bgl part-->beginning address and length.
It try to extract that part only.

FS98
By that way, because mdl FS98 format is simple, due to FS98 limitations itself.
PLIB is able to extract it at the good scale, the good orientation, the good
textures (textures are in a specific format which is red by PLIB)
In FG it is necessary to include the mdl model and the textures in the same
directory
(usually --> ..yourAircraft/Models/..) and to declare it in the file
yourAircraft-set.xml.
however a limitation is existing: you do not get any animation.
An other limitation coming from FS98, the model is not detailed, rather simple,
not up to the quality we are waiting for the last FlightGear release

FS2000 to 2004
Here we depend mainly on the CAD 3D program which was used to build the
original model.
(in order to help for a quick test of usability, you could use threedconvert,
it will be explained in the next chapter- How to convert)

Models originally modelled with Abacus FSDS modeller gives the best result
That type of mdl models can be directly used.
That kind of model have a very good quality, detailed, up to the FlightGear
quality, the good scale, the good orientation, the good texture.(textures ares
in bmp format)

The process is identical to FS98 model:
In FG it is necessary to include the mdl model and the textures in the same
directory
(usually --> ..your Aircraft/Models/..) and to declare it in the file your
Aircraft-set.xml.
For the Linux user it could happen a difficulty with the texture name (wrong
upper case, lower-case), which must be adapted to the model request (error
messages during FlightGear loading)
However a limitation is existing: you do not get any animation.
Here an example of a model which can be use (only extract Aircraft.mdl)
http://web1.g076.green.fastwebserver.de/
In the search box you enter "rq4a_gh.zip"

C==========How to convert

We will use “threedconvert” which is part of FlightGear utilities:
......./source/utils/Modeller/threedconvert  it is a binary program without any
graphic interface.

That utility use the PLIB function which were described above.
Using it, is easy :
./threedconvert Aircraft.mdl  Aircraft.ac     (input file, output-file)

An other tool is still existing in MS Windows  -->. Pretty Poly Editor,
 it was build with an obsolete Plib Library. Using it gives very limited
results.

Threedconvert gives results, which are more or less good:
      1/ The best --> we have seen it (“how to use directly” chapter)
      2/ The others usable are
              a good full model aircraft which must be scaled and oriented in
the 3 direction X,Y,Z)
              a  full model with components mixed an aggregated (wrong place
wrong orientation), which needs a reassembly,
              In additions to these difficulties the model could have been,
mirrored (right to left and left to right),and the faces inverted (normals in
should be out, normals out should be in).
             Fortunately the textures coordinates are kept.
             Unfortunately most of the texture are DXTBmp format it must be
converted
      3/ The others unusable (no comments)
      4/ A crash of threedconvert and you get nothing.

You will use your 3D Modeller to manipulate and see the Model
You have a good know how in using it.

1/ The best:

It is not so perfect,      that type presents a default:
                              Each face is defined in the hierarchy as a
individual object.
You get an equal number of objects and faces.
You could keep it, or prefer to merge these “objects” according to the
geometry of the model
Each moving component can be defined and animated, according to FlightGear
rules.

The textures are at the right place.
You do not have to remap it and, only if necessary, you could have to attach
the names to the objects , that depends on your CAD 3D

2/ The others usable

The model  will be scaled and oriented properly
If the model presents transparency that is probably coming from “normals
inverted “. -->it must be corrected.( the whole model is concerned, just
select all and invert normals)
The model could be mirrored, -->it must be corrected. (mirror it again)
The objects are in the hierarchy, they can be manipulated, and grouped if
necessary.
The objects are at the wrong place and, or, wrong orientation --> replace it
The texture information is kept, you do not have to remap it, only, if
necessary you could have to attach the names to the objects , that depends on
your CAD 3D
The textures are DxtBMP format (it is not indicated but you cannot read it)-->
convert it to BMP 24 bits or RGB.