For what it's worth, additional info on this thread:

I saw the same bad performance on an Fx 3400 with new driver.  I was not
able to find any properties or run options to alleviate the problem (10
fps or less, when looking at an airfield -- running with enhanced
lighting OFF).

Gerard's fix (comment out the call to get_vasi_lights_root()) worked
great.  All is smooth now.  Thanks, Gerard!

Jim