I've been looking into this myself, and found a couple of ways.  First
is the AI models.  You can give a vehicle a predetermined 'flight
plan', if it needs to change elevations and turn and so forth.  I
haven't looked into the details of this...hopefully it's not too
aircraft-specific to use for ground vehicles.  If you're on level
ground, you can also treat a ground vehicle as a ship, and allow it to
follow a continuous, circular path.  If you look in the base package,
there's a file called data/Docs/AI_doc.html that describes how to use
AI models.

What I ended up doing, though, is use the Model Manager interface,
which allows objects to be controlled using the property manager.  In
my preferences.xml file, I have the following script:

<models>
  <model>
    <name>truck</name>
    <path>Aircraft/vehicles/Models/truck.xml</path>
    <longitude-deg-prop>/models/truck/longitude</longitude-deg-prop>
    <latitude-deg-prop>/models/truck/latitude</latitude-deg-prop>
    <heading-deg-prop>/models/truck/heading</heading-deg-prop>
    <elevation-ft-prop>/models/truck/elevation-ft</elevation-ft-prop>
  </model>
 </models>

Now, I can control my truck by adjusting the properties I associated
with its position and orientation.

By the way, if you find any good models of a truck, Jeep, or
Humvee...let me know.

Drew