Melchior FRANZ wrote:

BTW: I just noticed that volumetric shadows work for me with
Linux 2.6.11.7 + nVidia 6629, but not with Linux 2.6.12.2 and
driver 7664. With the latter, the whole screen goes darker, and
no other shadows are visible. But since the newer drivers lock
the machine if RenderAccel is activated, switching back is a
good idea anyway.

I upgraded to 7664 a couple of days ago, fired the sim up, and the machine promptly overheated (it's been a bit warm here for the last couple of weeks) looks like the fan stopped on the graphics card, so that just died when asked to do anything. I swapped it for my old card (also nvidia) and noticed that runs with no shadows, but a darker screen as you describe - I put it down to the card being less capable, but I think I'll downgrade the driver and try again.

--
Jon Stockill