Martin Spott ha scritto:
"Roberto Inzerillo" wrote:

So I guess, using more photoreal scenery into FGFS would give a more
realistic result with less human effort then using default terrain textures,
vector roads/lakes/rivers/railroads...

I believe the most promising effort of this sort is 'osgPlanet' where
you apparently can plug almost every sort of geodata. I wonder why
Norman Vine didn't tell us about it  ;-)

Cheers,
        Martin.

That's awesome!
I'll give a deep look inside today. Do you (Martin) really think
osgPlanet has the right key (from a developers point of view) to let
FGFS make a new step into photo-real scenery? I really hope so.

I've been come to the conclusion that the current scenery contributers
are a lot but have a lot of difficulties too in order to integrate their
work into the current world representation.

Many people in the world use to hack simulators in order to achieve more
realistic environment (that's real fun :-) , that is de facto possible
thanks to the nature of most of them, FGFS is also opensource and that's
a big advantage. But the lack of simple (not just for highly skilled
developers) tools is a big stop (FGSD is a rare and good example of
user-tool but it's definetely not enough).

I am sad because I see Jon Stockill's repository almost stopped getting
new contributes. I guess it's because of some obstacles (not in John's
repository itself) which common people don't like to cope with.

Anyway, I'm positive with the idea that FGFS is, because of it's
opensource nature, a step behind to other simulators and has great
potentials which just need to come to reality. So you all developers
deserv great respect and support by the user-land.

 so, have a nice day,
 let's see what happens with osgPlanet :-)
        Roberto