Hi,
One comment and some documentation has indicted that FDM doesnt consume much CPU.
I ask myself why?
The modelling of a generalised rigid body with six degrees of freedom in a rotating frame of
reference should max out anyones and everyones CPU!
Of course any model is only as good as the approximations used so we apply symmetry to an aircraft (what happens if an engine drops off!) and various other restrictions. From my point
of view I would rather devote spare CPU to the accuracy of the FDM.
I notice that JSBSim uses a simple single step method for integration whereas LaRCSim uses a multi-step method. Spare CPU could be utilised in doing a multi-step predictor/corrector integration with variable step size especially for more esoteric aircraft types with high speeds and high altitudes
and even near orbital capability in JSBSim.
Anyone with any comments or advice or done anything similar?
cheers
Jim