Hi,
I notice that Plib library allows:
#define _JS_MAX_AXES 16
#define _JS_MAX_BUTTONS 32
#define _JS_MAX_HATS 4
so maybe we should stick to these limits.

I am also in discussions with Jon (JSB) about server/client communication to and from JSBsim for passing property values back and forth. XML-RPC looks interesting for heterogeneous multi-processor/process communications. General RPC can be used for passing any parameter and with XDR dont have to worry about "endianness",packing, and general socketry etc. With RPC js_server wouldnt need to do "wait" and the jsclient bit could just overload the normal joystick reading with an RPC call. With XML-RPC we could just pass the property list "/jsclient/axis[i]" directly. Extending this idea the js_server would be just one of a class of input/output servers eg engine_server - modelling engines,cockpit display server -for eg OpenGC,motion platform server etc.
cheers
Jim