All this multiplayer "chat" stuff has me thinking "game". It would
probably be more in line with simulation if chatting took place on a
simulated radio. You'd not only have to be close enough to someone, but
you'd have to be on the same frequency in order to talk to them. The
idea of having little on-screen identifiers might be OK as long as it
can be turned off. I really like that FGFS focuses on simulation and not
game play.

If you want to be highly realistic, mutiplayer voice chat with proper
radio frequencies would be ideal. Bandwidth might be a problem for large
groups, but small ones should be no problem. Of course it's much more
complicated too ;-)