Oliver Schroeder

... snip ...

> The version field is a good idea. And I have another suggestion. There
> should be a "info" packet, containing details of the client. I'm not
> sure what information should be sent to call the packet "complete", but
> I have some  ideas of what should be included anyway:
>
> 1) The aircraft (name) a client is using (it isn't nessecary to send
> this information with every packet)
> 2) A "visibility" range (Vivian called it "Radar Echoing Area"),
> provided by aircraft model data. That way a eg.  747 can show up on
> radar earlier than a cessna, making radar more real.

Radar Echoing Area is (REA) and is also known as the Radar Cross Section
(RCS). It's not quite the same thing as the radar visibility range.

RCS is a property of the target, and varies with the target aspect w.r.t.
the radar, and also the radar frequency.

Radar visibility range is a function of the RCS and the power density of the
radar at the target.

Depending on the level of realism you want for radar, we either need a crude
visibility range as a property of the target, or the RCS (probably an
estimate) and have the radar work out if the target is visible, taking into
account the RCS and the radar horizon.

Vivian