Steve Hosgood wrote:

Funnily enough, I was just having a cup of tea and reading that very
file just as your email came in (you're in Europe I presume?).

Yep.

fgSunPositionGST seems to be derived from Johnson's 'xearth' code, but
it calculates where on earth the sun is directly overhead. That makes
sense for 'xearth' where one of the options is to display the planet
from the sun's point of view (so to speak).

I can't work out what that routine is doing in FlightGear! It's only
used in 'sunsolver.cxx' which was written by Curtis anyway, and is GPL
of course. But why is called at all? The rest of Curtis's code does what
I'd expect - which is to find the time of day when the sun is at a given
angle (so you can specify flying at dusk, or noon or whatever).

Yes, and that's all it does, give an angle to display the pretty colors properly.

Give me a bit longer to disentangle it all! I can't work on it right
now, (I'm at work) but I can take a quick look at lunchtime, and do more
this evening.

I can imagine, I had trouble finding out what's going on also :-\

Erik