Just in case anyone else has noticed: I discovered today at work* that
the gcc 4.0.1 shipped with Fedora Core 4 miscompiles Nasal pretty
badly when the optimizer is turned on.

I'm not sure what the effect will be on FlightGear specifically, as I
haven't had time to do a build recently.  Nonetheless, I'd suggest
that anyone having trouble with FC4 (or gcc4 in general) use gcc 3.2.3
for the time being.  This is available in the compat-gcc-32 package
for Fedora, and you can tell the configure scripts to use it via:

export CC=gcc32

I'd be curious to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Andy

* Yes, I'm using Nasal at work.  We even have a mac here that has
  reproduced the endianness issues, so hopefully I'll have a fix for
  that ready in a few days.