Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> That's not a problem, but a feature. Really. After mirroring an
> object you have to 'apply the rotation'. (Some key combination
> with "a", IIRC. Ctrl-A?) I don't know why this isn't done
> automatically, but it is braindamage 'by design'.

It's hard to fix.  When you mirror a mesh, the winding order of
all the polygons gets reversed, which means their normals change
direction.  If the mesh is stored in an optimized format (strips,
fans, etc...) then it needs to be broken down and re-optimized.
Big mess.

It's not something that blender can't or shouldn't handle, but it
*does* interact in weird ways with the geometry representation.
I sympathize.

Andy