Hey gang,

As part of my simulated UAV control system project, I needed to augment the
built in Autopilot system in FG with a module in my own system (which is
written in java) that takes the aircraft's current position, and a desired
position (lat/long/altitude/desired arrival time) and figures out the proper
autopilot heading to lock to and altitude locks etc.

Now, I'd like to figure out how to handle that last variable: Arrival time.
To do it, I need to know how far I have left to travel, and how long I have
to get there. The time isn't a problem, but how do I get the distance from
my current Lat/Long to another Lat/Long? My investigations online show that
there's no real way to directly convert from Lat/Long to meters. I know that
the GPS system in FG calculates this distance. I just need to know what the
formulas are that are used to arrive at this distance.

Thanks!

--Mike

Mike Kopack
ISX Corporation