* Vassilii Khachaturov -- Thursday 13 October 2005 13:09:
>is there a reason to move it from L to U? If no,
> I think it would be great to have it back at L.

Yes, there is. Shift-L is currently reserved for carrier operations
("Launch-bar engage", see $FG_ROOT/Input/Keyboard/carrier-bindings.xml).

> Second, why the data duplication? can't the HELP section map
> to the keyboard mapping entries via the ID/IDREF mechanism in XML
> instead?

Then we would have extra entries for "g ... gear up" and "G ... gear down"
instead of just "g/G ... gear up/down". That's much too verbose and difficult
to find. Combining these automatically isn't easy for letters, and really
hard for cases like  ",/. ... brake left/right". You'd have to add a lot
of extra information to the <key> entries, which would make the whole
idea error prone again. And then, you don't want all <key> definitions
used automatically. Some aircraft redefine the flaps keys '[' and ']' to
call their own nasal functions. But the meaning remains the same, as listed
in the "common aircraft keys" already. The redefinition doesn't necessarily
make these keys 'aircraft specific'. We have much more control with the
current solution. And mistakes can happen in either case.

m.