AJ MacLeod wrote:

> I really don't like closed source anything, and device drivers in particular,
> but IME nvidia's offerings are about as good as could be hoped for in the
> circumstances (although obviously not perfect.)
>
> I'd switch allegiance in a flash if well performing, stable, open source
> drivers were available for some other reasonably priced cards though.

You should have a closer look at the upcoming XOrg-6.9/7.0 that'll
contain OpenSource drivers for the ATI Radeon X8x0 series.
This is why I typically buy ATI: There _is_ a chance that OpenSource
drivers appear after some time while you still have closed binary
drivers to fill the gap. With nVidia you can be certain that you'll
_never_ see OpenSource drivers. I think this makes an essential
difference.

Cheers,
        Martin.