Am Donnerstag 24 November 2005 14:38 schrieb Steve Hosgood:
> On Thu, 2005-11-24 at 12:20, Ralf Gerlich wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Buchanan, Stuart schrieb:
> > > Hi Steve,
> > >
> > > Apologies if I've misunderstood your answer, but I think we can already
> > > do this by setting the FG_SCENERY environmental variable appropriately.
> >
> > This is actually the way I'm using the Lake Constance scenery and it's
> > the way proposed on the Lake Constance Scenery Download site. It works.
>
> OK, so what was the original poster bothered about again? Sounds like
> it's all working as expected.

The complaint was not about being able to have customized scenery. The
complaint was that there is no way of customized scenery to become part of
the standard scenery. That way everyone could share the joy of nicely
modelled local sceneries, not just the original creator.

I'm sure a lot of people here are willing to contribute their scenery
enhancements (copyrights permitting), but currently just can't do it. This
was the reason to create a Shapefile (being a standard format in the GIS
communities) Scenery DB in the first place.

As long as FGSD has no support for these (or similar) formats, there is no way
to merge different contributions. That's why Martin noted that FGSD probably
MAY be a dead end regarding terrain modelling.

Thomas