On Wednesday 04 January 2006 12:34, Ben Clark wrote:
> I'd be pretty sure that massive texture files is the problem as there is
> hardly any drop in frame rate in small, undetailed aircraft (Cessna series,
> Eurocopter, etc).

I'm not sure that any of the aforementioned are causing the "stepped"
behaviour with MP.  Certainly, a/c using big textures cause meltdown on MP
for people with older graphics cards (like me).

But as several people have noticed and mentioned on the IRC channel, even
ordinary AI aircraft move in a slightly "stepped" fashion, identical to MP
aircraft, which move this way seemingly independently of the rate of data
transfer.  Does this happen with barebones, low-poly, low-texture, no-cockpit
AI models too?  I suspect they're not any smoother - I'll maybe get time to
test that later on.

> Only problem with removing pieces from an aircraft model when it's further
> away is the zoom function - it's not going to look good viewing a model
> with bits missing - unless of course the "pieces" become visible again on
> zooming.

That's a good point... personally I think hiding parts with LOD is a good way
to go, but parts hidden should be almost entirely internal ones which aren't
going to be seen anyway.  I know on my model there are significantly more
vertices and more texturing in the cockpit than on the whole of the external
model.  That might be more a comment on the poor quality of the external
model, I don't know :-)

> I was also wondering if there is a unified set of XML files for each
> aircraft. I snoop around and some have millions of properties defined while
> some have very few.

I'm not sure what this bit is asking... Every aircraft has a -set file which
specifies things like the FDM config and the main 3d model XML files to be
used and some other bits and pieces.  Beyond that, we have almost complete
freedom to structure the aircraft model as we like, with a tree of XML files
managing various bits of the 3d model, and nowadays usually a nasal script or
two.

Despite having followed the fgfs project for many years now, having started to
build a model myself I have been amazed at the flexibility that is there...

Cheers,

AJ