Paul Surgeon wrote:

> I'm not sure which would be more work to achieve but I recently discovered
> the
> GRASS plugin for QGIS which allows you to edit and digitize GRASS data inside
> the nice and friendly QGIS GUI.

To my knowledge QGIS functions as a nice GUI to GRASS, the data
handling is still done in GRASS. QGIS itself has a native interface to
PostGIS which works better every release and that allows you to render
PostGIS-stored data but you won't be able to use it for editing.

Yesterday I had a try with uDig which actually allows you to load data
from a PostGIS DB and, manually move polygon nodes around like you did
in CorelDraw and write the result back to the DB. The 1.1M2 beta still
has some bugs but it looks very promising.
Unfortunately it has a big drawback in that you have to load yet
another copy of the Eclipse environment and another Java runtime if you
don't build from source. I like Eclipse and I heavily dislike Java at
all so I'm indetermined if we really can recomment this to the user,

Martin.