Hi,
> ... Telenet being a application layer protocol requires alot more details as > to recipient and also alot higher overhead to implement...whereas UDP being > a trasport layer protocol is less distinct in is destination and requires
> less overhead to implement.

I'm not sure what you mean about "less distinct in destination", both
TCP connections and UDP packets must go to a specific destination
address (although you can use UDP to a broadcast address on
your local LAN).

Andy

Exactly, TCP is point to point and UDP can be used for broadcast.

The winsock control can do TCP or UDP with equal ease. Although I've only had experience using UDP because it's all I've ever needed to use (as per MSDN's recommendation that TCP be used for transferring large amounts of data and UDP for simple messaging type uses). The issue is the command structure that surrounds setting values in the property-tree... This is obviously written to cater for manual Telnet sessions.

I was asking if there is access to the lower level that by-passes the need to use the command-structure (opening a session & closing a session plus the other commands that were in there) and be able to treat the property-tree purely as an object that set or get type instructions can be issued to. Not that it is difficult to emulate the command-structure using either TCP or UDP. was just asking though.

Cheers
=Dene