On 23/02/06, David Luff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I wonder if there's any scope for giving it phonetic help/hints for stuff it
> doesn't pronounce well, such as "ATIS".  In fact, come to think of it, I'm
> not sure I know how ATIS should be pronounced - I always assumed it was
> "Ay-tis", but maybe "aah-tis" is correct?

In North America, we pronounce the first syllable to rhyme with "day",
but you shouldn't need to worry about it -- I don't think I've ever
heard the word "ATIS" spoken on an ATIS.  It usually starts like this:

"Ottawa International Airport, information charlie, conditions at one
four zero zero zulu ..."

and ends

"... inform ATC on initial contact you have information charlie."

All the best,

David

--
http://www.megginson.com/