On Saturday 25 March 2006 12:30, Justin Smithies wrote:
> Guys,
>            I'm unsure what to do here.
> I have visited the site http://www.xs4all.nl/~dtalsma/flightgear.html
> and downloaded the 737 file.
>
> As instructed i have done the following :
>
> Click on the link below to download one of the aircraft packages. To
> install, create a directory ${FG_ROOT}/data/Aircraft/AI, copy the zip file
> to this directory and extract the zip file.
>
> So i made a dir in Aircraft called AI then unzipped the file there.
>
> I enable AI but i dont see no models ?
>
> What am i doing wrong ??
> Can someone help me put please.

Hi Justin,

Thanks for trying it out the download page. You're not doing anything wrong,
but you're just a little ahead of us, that's all. :-) I hadn't announced the
page publicly yet, for reasons explained below, but felt it would be a nice
gem to have online around the time FlightGear 0.9.10, or 1.0 comes out. For
that reason I had asked Curt quitely if he could add a link to it from the
main FlightGear page.

The aircraft download page is still in a very early stage of development, and
currently does contain the models but no code to activate them in flightgear.
These aircraft are part of the so-called traffic manager generated AI (which
isn't really accessible through the GUI yet), so enabling AI doesn't do
affect the appearance of the 737 (yet: David Luff and I are both intending to
unify the two systems, but it's a work in progress).

For the short term future, I will add some additional documentation that would
allow you to write your own traffic files in xml, plus some instructions on
how to activate the scripted AI system. For the intermediate future, I'm
hoping to finish a GUI based traffic  editor that would allow users to create
traffic scripts without the need to know the finer details of the xml
configuration scripts.

Ultimately, I'm hoping to accomplish what you had expected: Download a
specific aircraft/livery combination, drop it in Aircraft/AI, and voila: it
works. But, there's still a bit more work needed to be done before we're at
that stage.

Finally, please note, that a number of the 737/747 repaints are not exactly of
a high quality. Those were initially done by me as a proof-of-principle that
we could actually do multi livery aircraft in AI.

Hope this is an answer to your question.

Cheers,
Durk