Hi,

I too had some delays - mainly due to
house guests cutting down my computer
time ;=))

Thanks for the addition of config.h-msvc8
to CVS. I wonder why it was not called
either just config.h-msvc, since it WORKS
with ALL version of MSVC, or at least
config.h-msvc6, as it WAS called before ...
but no problem ... what's in a name ;=))

And is there any need now to keep
config.h-msvc6.in? Or does cygwin
somehow need this? I think not ...

Also noted -
#define ENABLE_AUDIO_SUPPORT 1
has been added, although it had already
been defined later in the file, with -
#ifndef ENABLE_AUDIO_SUPPORT
#define  ENABLE_AUDIO_SUPPORT
#endif
but luckily I had put this define, within
an #ifndef so no warning of a
'redefinition' ;=))

Also, since presently every usage in the
source uses -
#ifdef ENABLE_AUDIO_SUPPORT
and NOT
#if ENABLE_AUDIO_SUPPORT
then the defining of it as equal to 1 does
not make sense, but it is no problem
either ...

Further -
#define ENABLE_THREADS 1
has been added, making 'threads' a DEFAULT
choice.

I had left this out, since it seems it
should be a user OPTION, thus added only
as a MSVC define, ONLY IF DESIRED BY THE
USER ... but, why not? pthreads is a
quick easy download, and install ;=()
just one MORE thing to do ...

Have now had a chance to download, and
install 'Express' MSVC8 ... and have been
reading all the other posts on this ... I had
some initial problems because I had installed
and tried earlier Beta versions, but someone
in MS has written a nice (unsupported!)
clean-up tools ...

Still have not got the Platform SDK exactly
right ... seems missing GL/glut.h, for example,
but on this occasion chose to go the freeglut
way ... thus was able to compile FlightGear,
using the new projects/VC8 SLN/VCPROJ files,
after considerable modification to suit my
local environment, mainly folder/directory
arrangements ...

I did the whole gambit in MSVC8 - PLIB, OpenAL,
pthreads, zlib-1.2.3, freeglut, SimGear/source,
and FlightGear/source ... all were the latest,
circa 4/5 April, CVS updates, except zlib, which
comes only in tar.gz form ...

... do not know about MSVC8, since
I have yet to BUY, and use this extensively ...
There is almost no difference between the
express and the professional version. ...

For one thing, the express version has NO
resource editor ... luckily FlightGear uses
none, like most of the dependent projects, so
this is not a particular drawback for this
project, but would severely inhibit a native
WIN32 build ... I wonder what else is 'broken'
in the free 'express' version? ...

Naturally I used the newly provided
VC8/SLN|VCPROJ files, but feel you have just
as many 'fix-ups' to be done in these, as
with using the DSW/DSP files, and NO automated
process to 'fix' them, as they inevitably
become 'stale' ...

This is no problem while we have an ACTIVE,
AVAILABLE and WILLING group of developers using
MSVC8, provided they REMEMBER each time a
SG/FG Makefile.am is CHANGED, these files
will have to be MANUALLY changed in CVS ...

While the use of am2dsp.pl has its drawbacks
as well, at least it is an 'auto' process ...
I am still unsure exactly what 'errors' come
from the use of DSW/DSP conversion ... I have
had none ... something was said about
dependencies, size and compile times ... but
no real details ... just implied problems ...
FUD factor 7.5? ;=))

Ok, we now have VC8 project files in
SimGear and FlightGear, but there are NONE
in PLIB, freeglut, pthreads ... those in
zlib FAILED to work at all ... so, IMHO,
it still seems the DSW/DSP set are the BEST
BET for all versions of MSVC, all projects ;=))

I think am2dsp.pl, and its am2dsp.cfg files
could be massaged quite a lot, and these
would automatically produce a consistent,
automatic, functional set of build files,
FOR ALL VERSIONS OF MSVC ... given some
'agreed' folder structure ...

I have done some of that massaging for
myself, but my sense is that some of the
MSVC developers do not LIKE this system,
so have never tried to put forward the
massive improvements that could be done ...

Like providing configuration values that
advised your exact folder structure, and
producing DSW/DSP files to match ... but
this also means 'distributing' the actual
perl script, and the user having some perl
installed to run it ...

Like separating the Debug and Release
more, like some of what was done recently,
etc, etc, etc, ...

As you are no doubt aware, MSVC7.1 will
NOT accept MSVC8 files, so the most
'compatible' is to provide MSVC6 build files
that CAN be used by ALL VERSIONS ... and
I really dispute that this 'breaks' some
sense of dependency, or significantly
'slows' the compile ...

It has always been true that it seemed
somewhat senseless to put all the generated
object files in separate 'library' folders ...
as is done by the Makefile.am system,
and this significantly adds to the DSP
size, just adding all these folder names ...
and the 'new' VC8 files have straightened
this out a little ...

But even now, again I am puzzled by the
current new separation into a static library
which creates FGDebug/FGRelease, as well as
Debug/Release ... why not all-in-one? But
no problem ...

As usual, I have put my build experience on
the section of my site dedicated to
FlightGear ... including a ZIP containing
my SLN/VCPROJ files, near -

http://geoffmclane.com/fg/fgfs-023.htm#Download

If you take the time to read more of that
page, you will note my 'annoyance' about
several new aspects of MSVC8 ... some
'depreciations', some ISO C++ claims, the
default to managed code, i.e. manifests, and
the 'tightening' up on the use of 'const'
which 'break' previous error free builds ...
although this latter item is perhaps
'for-the-better' ...

Simply, if people want to use MSVC8, that
is fine - get on with it, like I and some
others have ;=)) but also leave some room
for those with previous versions ... who
really cares what compiler a user uses, so
long as he gains from the experience, and
enjoys this FREE flight simulator ...

Regards,

Geoff.