Steve Hosgood writes:

> My only comment is just that 1937 maps will certainly be before the
> National Grid was adopted, and will be based on the "old triangulation"
> done between the late 1700's to mid 1800's. I don't know the details,
> but it wasn't metric (possibly surveyed in "survey chains" or thousands
> of yards or royal Babylonian cubits).
>
> The first OS maps based on the "new triangulation" (which was metric),
> and with the now-familiar National Grid didn't appear to the public
> until after WWII.
>
> Whether or not you can get an "old survey" map to line up with a "new
> survey" map (or even with reality!) is not obvious. I'm not even sure if
> the mapping projection of the pre WWII maps is the same as today's (i.e
> Transverse Mercator based on the "Airy 1830" spheroid). It certainly
> isn't WGS84 which IIRC is what FG's terrain is based on.

Hmm, I've got a feeling that the 36 in OSGB36 might refer to 1936, in which
case you are probably right - post-war maps should be OK - I've got no problem
converting to and from WGS84 <==> OSGB36.  It seems that 1" maps from the 7th
series in the mid fifties to early sixties are fairly widely available - I
guess that these are probably the best to go for at the moment.  I will look
out for one to a hilly area to try as a proof-of-concept.

Regarding the rest of the thread - yes, the OS jealously guards copyright in
the UK.  Other agencies are just as bad - it was very difficult to find online
tide tables for dates in the future last time I looked.  I've heard the opinion
given from a source that I respect that the OS regards vector data from non-OS
aerial imagery that has been ortho-rectified using OS data to contain residual
OS copyright.  However, the 50 year expiry of Crown Copyright on published
works (it's a lot longer on unpublished government material) is clearly stated
on the OS website, so ultimately all their mapping is free to use - we just
have to wait a while.  Now that's the sort of development that I like the sound
of ;-)  I think that elevation and waterbody outlines from the 50s should be
just fine though, and a major improvement on the current situation.

Cheers - Dave