Yeah, I noticed that the colors seemed really close together on the mapsever too. I've been meaning to send you that file for the color mapping (I used the same color averaging method in GIMP as you used however the colors seemed close together).

-Rob

There's another thing: When picking colours to identify the different
layers for my Mapserver I averaged the color values over the texture
tiles and realized that the color values of many textures resemble each
other - see the Legend to the Mapserver map display after selecting all
landcover layers.

Regards,
       Martin.