That is a pretty good description of how it works.  It seems like FlightGear
is well on its way to becoming one of the important open source projects (it
already is for most of us).  Maybe that comes with a different set of
responsiblities.  As a "framework" project shouldn't we be maintaining
backwards compatibility by default?

If there is code we need to remove, perhaps it is the base package version
check!  It seems to have become a bit of a crutch.  Would it not make sense
to always keep things working as they were and pick major release intervals
every 2 or 3 years to dump a bunch old stuff at once?

Best,

Jim Wilson

--
Jim Wilson