Nils Erik Svangård schrieb:
You are right - I have two sound devices - onboard sound (normally
activated) and a separate sound-card (not activated).
Under Windows I have no drivers installed for the sep. soundcard and
Suse10 might have asked me during the installation what sound-device to
use (to be honest, I can't remember).
Now I just switched the speaker-cable to the sound-card and all worked
fine - resumee: two sound-devices can be dangerous under Linux!
Problem solved as most users only have ONE sound-device, it is a
personal problem I have/had. Thank you for your help.

If you want to use your other card try the command "alsaconf" and
choose the sound card you want to use. (You probably have to be root
to do this try "sudo alsaconf" or "su;alsaconf".) This is a problem
with all live-Cd's, they pick the first one they find, usually the one
on the motherboard. A nice solution could be to tweak the way alsa
behaves when it detects two sound cards and default to the one which
isn't on the motherboard. If you have a sound card in a PCI-slot it
would be a pretty safe bet to say that that's the one you want to use.

/nisse

Thank you Nils Erik
for your reply which is quite educational for me as a Linux amateur.

I will test it to learn more about Linux although Pigeon solved the problem with (one of) his last live CDs - I could now select which card should be used by the O/S while booting up. No problem anymore, works fine :-)

And btw, the first problem occured because the separate (PCI) soundcard was selected by default (what you describe as the best way to handle it, and will be for 99% of all users) but I use the onboard one - you may believe me or not, despite all people swear on the separate soundcard and better quality - I get a better out from the onboard one (may be because I have got a real cheap PCI card). I was only too lazy to remove the PCI one after testing which one to use.

Regards
Georg EDDW