Quoting Martin Spott :

> Frederic Bouvier wrote:
>
> > http://helijah.free.fr/flightgear/flightgear.htm
>
> This is really impressing - does anyone have a recommendation which
> graphics card to use in order to run FlightGear with so many textured
> objects at a reasonable frame rate - without disabling any other visual
> effects ?
> Does FlightGear actually re-use the textures for all the identical
> buildings in Paris or are the textures being loaded one copy for each
> object ?

The author of the conversion said that it is reasonably fast with a GeForce 440
MX, that has a GeForce2 core. In fact, the placement of object has been
optimised to group these models with the same texture. Jon changed his export
procedure for that. And objects are shared, that means there is only one
occurence in memory for each, and with recent texture management improvement
made by Melchior, Erik and me, there is only one texture change to display all
2400+ models in the tile. So it is equivalent to a single big model.

And the Paris scenery is not finished. I have a whole bunch of models to send to
Jon.

-Fred

--
Frédéric Bouvier