From: Martin Spott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] New Zealand Mesh terrain data
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 10:00:53 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Dene,

"dene maxwell" wrote:
> I'll investigate all the options of getting this data for FG...will keep you
> updated....
>
> Meanwhile ..check out
> http://www.redbarent.com/nzmesh-overview.htm

To my impression the lack of detailed elevation data is definitely not
the most urgent point in the process of getting nice and VFR-suitable
Scenery for FlightGear. What we are really looking for is the
topographic data, like that one included in the add-on-package:

  http://www.redbarent.com/nztopo-overview.htm

BUT: This is commercial data and the vendor will _never_ allow us to
ship this with an OpenSource project. For the southern part of NZ there
is 'free' topographic data available from the VMAP1 dataset (#47). One
day we'll be able to use this data for the FlightGear Scenery - it just
requires significant effort to merge this with the current VMAP0 data
for the rest of the world

BTW, you will be unable to avoid buying a new computer if you want to
use detailed Scenery. At the LinuxTag exhibition we had a Dual Opteron
machine equipped with an ATI X800 card, which dropped from far over 60
fps (running standalone) with standard Scenery down to below 10 fps
with detailed Scenery. Now you are already flooding the list with
comments on how slow FG runs on your PC and I doubt people will
tolerate further flood that will arise once you start running FG with
detailed Scenery ....

        Martin.

Looking for love? Check out XtraMSN Personals http://xtramsn.match.com/match/mt.cfm?pg=channel&tcid=200731