Olaf Flebbe wrote :
> Hi,
>
> let me comment on the current apt.dat performance i.e.
>
> of the time spent in fgAirportDBLoad:
>
> ~25% of time time is spent in simgear::strutils::split
> ~10% is spent in atof()
>
> Measured with Intel VTune using MS Visualc C++ 2005.
>
> IMHO it is an indicator that we should not use a plain text format. I
> have no experiences with the performance of binary XML
> representations.

There is not much information here. If you tell us what cost us
fgAirportDBLoad in the whole initialisation process, we could decide if
it's worth optimizing it.

And you're missing a bit of history here : The airport file used to be
binary and it was decided that a text file was easier to maintain. No
endianess or integer size problem, no compilation phase. MetaKit was a
PITA at the time.

-Fred

--
Frédéric Bouvier