I've been shown this text from the cygwin mailing list:

--- start ---
Searching the mailing list archives would show that this question has
already come up (several times this week, in fact).  The fault is
EXPECTED, and HARMLESS - just continue on debugging from that point.
Basically, inside cygwin functions, cygwin installs its own fault
detection handler, and pthread_key_create intentionally faults on the
first time the key is used.  It is just a matter of teaching gdb that this
fault is expected and will be covered seamlessly by cygwin.

There is this message that is more thorough:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2006-q1/msg00039.html

Unfortunately, this seems to indicate to me that the gdb debugger is simply
not working well with the newest cygwin. The responses above also seem to
indicate that this is a problem with gdb only, and that there should be no
problem with running the real executable outside gdb. I'm still getting a
segfault. Now, I really just have no way to tell where it really is. I guess
I'm going to have to go into the fg source code and add print statements.

Jon