>From: Lee Elliott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>To: FlightGear developers discussions
><flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
>Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Memory leak
>Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 19:43:55 +0100
>
>On Wednesday 21 June 2006 08:35, dene maxwell wrote:
> > >From: Torsten Dreyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >To: FlightGear developers discussions
> > ><flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>
> > >Subject: Re: [Flightgear-devel] Memory leak
> > >Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 08:58:31 +0200
> > >
> > >If this is of any help - starting with the ufo on the ground
> > > and sitting there
> > >(no movement, controls untouched) the memory grows at a rate
> > > of approx. 50kB-100kB per second. Monitored for about a
> > > minute. .fgfsrc is blank and all rendering options
> > > unchecked, except "display framerate"
> > >This is on a linux-box monitored with ksysguard.
> > >
> > >Since the ufo has no panel at all, this is either another
> > > leak or the problem
> > >is not bound to the 2d panel?
> > >
> > >Torsten
> >
> > I noticed the same on 098a/win me.... then I looked at the xml
> > files... the ufo-set.xml file has panel visibilty set to false
> > and there in is no panel specified either in the ufo-set.xml
> > or /model/ufo.xml.... does this mean that with the ufo, a 2-d
> > panel is loaded but not shown till <shft>p toggles it on
> > because it is certainly a 2-d panel that shows when <shift>p
> > is pressed....
> >
> > The ufo-set files lists the author as "ET"... is this a case
> > of ... ET call Torsten ? ;-)
> >
> > :-D ene
>
>I don't think that just a minute is really long enough to tell.
>You get some growth as things like the AI a/c get loaded and
>start flying about so FG legitimately grabs more memory in the
>few minutes after start-up.
>
>The 2D panel you see with the ufo is the C-172 2D panel, which is
>the default if none is specified.
>
>LeeE

I ran each of my tests (PA28-161,Hunter, C172-3D & UFO ) for about 30
minutes each. The PA28-161, Hunter and UFO all went up by about 10M over
that time. I discarded the UFO results because I couldn't get it to stay
still, it drifted slowly over changing scenery and I though this might
adversely effect te results. The C172-3D decreased by 10M from the initial
value.

I had AI turned off for these tests.

There was an interesting discussion on IRC last night...proposing that a
possibile source is in the fonts area and with Mechiors work on the fonts
(which I understood, made font features that were localised, more globally
available) the problem might have become more evident. No proof was offered
either way on this before I went to bed. But my simplistic understanding
says this might have existed for a very long time. In that a leak that was
being caused in an area that wasn't being worked on, could now be processing
alot more data and hence the leak becomes more noticable.

Regards
:-D ene

Need a new job? Check out XtraMSN Careers http://xtramsn.co.nz/careers