On Thu, 22 Jun 2006, AJ MacLeod wrote:

> On Thursday 22 June 2006 23:24, Anders Gidenstam wrote:
>> Anyway, I put the thing on the web here:
>> http://www.gidenstam.org/FlightGear/HeadTracking/
>> in case anyone wants to try it out (or, hopefully, improve it.. :)
>
> Just thought I'd mention that I tried your preivous headtracking program with
> some degree of "success" - it zoomed in/out fairly reliably at least...

Nice to hear! With the newer version you'll get some kind of view
rotations too.

On my system I seem to get interruptions in the video stream which stops
the tracking now and then - but I think that is a resource or driver issue
rather than a program bug (my old Philips webcam uses the since long
discontinued pwc driver).
Still, for me the tracker enhanced the Spitfire piloting experience (though
the interruptions in tracking are fairly upsetting - like being forced to
look at the oil pressure gauge for 20-30 seconds while in flight..).

In the long run I think there should be some kind of configuration phase
where the user gets to define which head locations coresponds to
e.g. straight ahead, right/left 45 degrees, up/down 45 degrees or
something like that. From such information it should be possible to
construct some nice and smooth mapping from marker location to view
direction and magnification. That would also allow a 45 degree head
rotation to rotate the view 90 degrees or more, which could be useful.
One could also imagine using two or three marker cards to get improved
tracking.

Cheers,

Anders
--
"In a world without fences, who needs gates?"
Email: anders(at)gidenstam.org