Lee Elliott wrote:
> On Saturday 01 July 2006 17:05, Josh Babcock wrote:
>
>> Is there some property that plane modelers can use to do LOD
>> and turn off certain animations on aircraft that are being
>> flown remotely? Planes like the bo105 with complex animations
>> look pretty funny when they are not being flown locally, with
>> doors missing, rotor blades all in one spot etc. It would be
>> nice to have some property to key on and just present a
>> low-LOD version of a plane when it is being viewed as a remote
>> mp aircraft.
>>
>> Josh
>>

> I believe the mp 'team' ;) are aware of this problem but it's not
> a trivial one to solve.
>
> It's not impossible, of course, but in addition to everything
> that is currently being passed between mp clients, a widely
> varying range of animation data would also have to be exchanged,
> in a scheme that would also have to cope with multiple instances
> of identical aircraft.
>
> Certainly, having some standardisation in the model and animation
> scheme would help but atm, I don't think that enough people have
> developed enough aircraft to have gathered enough knowledge to
> know what requirements would have to be met in the standards.
>
> Put another way, I don't think we know enough yet, to be able to
> define a standard that would cope with any eventuality.
>
> LeeE

 From my investigations this problem of missing model bits is caused
because some XML animations turn model objects off (de-select them)
when the view is from the cockpit. When the models is used for MP it's
essentially an AI model and these bits get turned off because the AI
property tree doesn't support views... the Spitfire had the same thing
that I "cured" by removing the "de-select" parts of the animation XML

:-D ene