--- Mathias Fröhlich wrote:
<snip>
> But anyway:
> You will actually double the amount of memory that is transmitted for
> one property.

That is true. However, transmitting the chat strings is going to represent
a much bigger increase in message size, though I've restricted the chat
size to 128 characters per message. I should have highlighted this in my
original patch just in case we're worried about bandwidth.

> While it is good to be able to send different typed properties, I think
> we
> can, with the current scheme, store the properties type in the static
> property configuration where we also store the id to property path
> mapping.
> This way we can avoid sending additional data on each property which
> must be
> known on both sides anyway.

Good point.

> In the longer term, I would like to have a dynamic property
> path/property type
> negotiation that is done at the start of a connection.

Me too, but re-writing the message format seemed quite sufficient for the
moment :)

> Can you update your patch to avoid transmitting the type?

Yes, but I can't provide any guarantee as to when I'll get it done.

-Stuart

All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of [EMAIL PROTECTED]@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard
protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html