Hi everybody,

in the tradition of all real-life pilots-to-be reporting about their
milestone experiences in their training, I'd like to tell you about my
first solo in the traffic circuit I had on Friday.

For understanding of the context: I'm currently training to be a pilot
of microlight planes of the "aerodynamically controlled" type. IIRC
these things are known as VLA (very light aircraft) in the US, although
some of the parameters (maximum MTOW etc.) are different. So I'm not
flying trikes but merely a much smaller and lighter version of what you
PPL-pilots out there are using. I'm training on a Comco Ikarus C42B, of
which a model for FlightGear is in the making (detailed static 3D model
is nearly complete, FDM is a mess and no animation or scripting of
specific instruments has yet taken place ;-) ).

On Thursday it happened to happen that the conditions of myself having
time off from my dayjob, not being too tired from it and the weather
being VMC (lower limits, however) met on the same day. I hadn't had any
lessons for nearly a month and the last one was a bit frustrating
because the landings just didn't want to work the way I wanted them to,
which - as I learned later on - was due to several factors I couldn't
expect to counter at my stage of training, one of them being the
maintenance guy who had fastened some screws in the front gear a bit too
hard which made control of rudder and steering wheel harder and much
less precise. It makes a whole lot of a difference whether you can
control the rudder with only small forces or whether you need to
literally stump on the pedals to actually move them.

And on Thursday we went to our training airodrome (landing fees there
allow us to do ten times more landings for the same price as at our home
base), did some coordination training (following curvy roads) as well as
some navigation training in bad visibility, and then I did my first
landing for that day, which was absolutely perfect! We did 8 landings in
total and all of them were at least safe, even though not perfect in my
mind (I expect my passengers not to know that we're on the ground again
;-) )

In the break we did in between my instructor already babbled something
about not letting me do a solo "today yet", but there was something in
that "yet"...

On the following day, Friday, we went to that aerodrome again and I did
3 landings, all of which were safe again. On the fourth landing my
instructor added a little spice by simulating an engine failure for me
to see that essentially that doesn't make a huge problem when you're
almost on the runway and high enough. After that landing we taxied to
the apron and he tried to assure me that we would have a short break
now. He's a very talented actor, but I was already prepared and it
seemed awkward to do a break after that few landings.

He left the plane on the apron and then told me to do 3 or 4 landings
solo. I don't need to tell you I was nervous as hell, however, somehow I
didn't notice the "forgetting how to fly" effect others had told me of.

I taxied to the taxi holding point, reported that I would taxi onto the
runway and takeoff as soon as the recently-landed powered glider had
left it. When the runway was clear, I went onto the runway, set flaps
and full power and finally was on my first real solo takeoff run. Soon
after the tires left the ground, the nervousness transformed into pure
excitement.

I can't say I was relaxed but I wasn't exactly tense either. The plane
climbed like I'd never seen it climb before so I was on traffic circuit
altitude already before turning crosswind. Suddenly I had so much time
between leveling the plane and crossing abeam threshold (which is the
point for starting descent in the procedure I've learnt) so I could
really enjoy the view.

In the second or third downwind I was flying the engine suddenly seemed
to run lumpy, so I tried some of the standard procedures to check the
engine I had learnt. Pulling carburetor heat (we had high humidity and
16-17 degrees Celsius outside temperature), trying a different RPM, etc.
I blame it on being alone in the plane for the first time, where one
probably tends to hear ghosts, but there was nothing wrong with the engine.

I just wanted to go on and on and on, but it was already near sunset so
we had to return to our home base soon. After the fourth landing I
parked the plane and my instructor came along showing "thumbs up". We
had a short break and then went home.

The end of that flight was marked by the very first real-life landing in
EDNY which I did totally on my own: "No hands" for my instructor ;-) As
compared to the other typical traffic in EDNY we are relatively slow, we
tend to do fast landings, coming to 50m aside the runway descending with
about 140-160km/h and cruise power setting (normal approach speed is
110km/h), do a relatively steep turn and align to the runway, then
reducing the speed by a long flare. There is an agreement between the
microlight pilots at EDNY and the controllers that, as soon as we're
cleared direct into base or right base we rush to the runway using that
"procedure" and it often gives a spectacular view from the outside and a
pretty nice "dynamic" feeling from the inside. Controllers love to clear
us "direct" to base even if there is no other traffic around which would
require it ;-)

To sum it up: Being solo for the first time is a feeling nobody who
hasn't yet experienced it can imagine and it is an impression I'll never
forget. It also took me some time to actually realise everything I had
experienced on that half hour of being solo so this is one of the
reasons why I didn't write earlier.

Next report: first cross-country solo or passing of theoretical exam,
whichever comes first ;-)

Cheers,
Ralf