On Thu, 5 Oct 2006, Martin Spott wrote:

> Frederic Bouvier wrote:
>
> > And don't tell me a PA28 is an airliner ;-)
>
> .... but hey, it is equipped with a mode S transponder, which
> only few light aircraft have nowadays (at least here in Germany),

the "Mode S" code you see in the FAA registration is a reserved code for
that particular tail number. In fact, a lot of transponders are not like
that, and if you look up the tail number 33966 (an SGS 2-33A that I happen
to have some time in), you'll discover an aircraft with a mode S code
listed, but no transponder (actually, no electrical system at all) on
board! However, if whenever in the future it is equipped to have one, the
mechanic will use the particular mode S code reserved for this very
aircraft to program into the hardware.

Vassilii