Olaf Flebbe wrote

> Hi,
> >
> > i noticed that the version of flightgear i built from scratch using
> > cygwin takes significantly more time to start up (about 4-5
> > minutes) than the one i installed using the exe-file from
> > flightgear.org <http://flightgear.org> (about 1-2 minutes). is there
> > any specific reason for this and are there any ways to accelerate the
> > start of flightgear somehow?
> cygwin I/O is dead slow. Thats the price you pay for emulating a UNIX
> style I/O system. You can accelerate by using MSVC8, for instance. It's
> free, too.

The I/O of Cygwin was improved considerably about a year ago, but was still
a little slower than with an executable produced with MSVC8. It also ran a
little slower; as is pointed out above that's the price you pay for
emulating Unix.

However, FG-OSG compiled using Olaf's stuff (for which we must be most
grateful) is both significantly slower to load and run than FG-Plib compiled
with MSVC8 here.

Vivian