On 11/29/06, Jon S. Berndt wrote:

If the community is split into two different camps, communication is going
to suffer, plain and simple. I can receive email wherever I am and reply or
not.  I can set up filters and rules in my email program to sort the email
posts. If the mails to the FlightGear-devel lists are archived in a forum,
that's fine. If posts to a forum are likewise echoed to the -devel list,
that's fine. In other words, if there are two ways to view a single
communication venue, that's fine. But if there are two
completely independent venues to discuss issues (say, the Users list), that
would be very, very bad. It really defeats the purpose of having any kind
of discussion group/list/forum at all.

All good points, but consider that we aren't really starting anything new
here.  There are FlightGear forums that exist already (i.e. Avsim) where
useful discussion occurs and where people actually expect to post questions
or comments and get help and feedback.  So the forum thing is already in
play, I'd just like to see if I can consolodate it under one roof rather
than being spread around the world.  There's things I like about mailing
lists and things I like about web based forums.

Someday I'm going to follow in the footsteps of Knuth and refuse to use
email or forums at all.  When I get a secretary (probably in a future life)
their first task will be to start printing out all my emails for me. :-)

Curt.
--
Curtis Olson - University of Minnesota - FlightGear Project
http://baron.flightgear.org/~curt/  http://www.humanfirst.umn.edu/