Hi All,

I recently bought a flex-wing microlight (aka "trike", "ultralight",
"hang-glider with a lawnmower engine"). Specifically, a Mainair Flash 2
Alpha.

There is currently a picture of it here:

http://www.sites.ecosse.net/graeme.ritchie/eosm/home.asp?txtMenu=forsale

Obviously, I want model it in FG. However, as flexwings are quite
different from the normal aircraft that we model, I need some advice as to
what FDM to use.

To give an idea of how flexwings differ from normal aircraft, here are
some details:
- They have single hang-glider style wing, no tail and a very small fixed
"rudder".
- The wing pivots on a point that is pretty close to the center of lift
during all phases of flight, and from which the trike unit hangs during
flight.
- The pilot controls the aircraft by moving the entire wing in the
required direction. The back end of the wing flexes, to help turns.
- The rudder on the wing provides limited yaw control as it is attached to
the wing rather than the trike.
- There is no trimming for different flight phases. Vertical speed is
purely controlled by power.
- My aircraft has a 50HP two-stroke Rotax 503 engine (pull start!) with
reduction gear to reduce maximum RPM form 7000 to approx 4000 on the fixed
prop.
- Typical cruise is 55mph, stall 35mph and Vne 70mph.
- Empty weight is around 200kg, MAUW 390kg.
- Flex-wing flying is very much "seat-of-the-pants" using external visual
references to maneuver the aircraft rather than instruments.

So, should I use YASim or JSBSim for this project?

-Stuart

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease
of use." - PC Magazine
http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html