I've replaced most of the listeners, at least all the high-frequency ones that
were being called every frame, with timers and also removed the noise-spike
filters that I was using to de-link the tied properties, so that I could set
the listeners and this seems to have cured the problem.

While removing the redundant filters I found one of the listener targets that
had been duplicated.  Reinstating the duplicated filters didn't reintroduce
the problem but I haven't yet tried setting a listener on the duplicated
filter output to see if this reintroduces the problem again.

Incidentally, the timer rates I've specified should result in a lower
frequency than that from the listeners, so this might be having some effect
as well.

It does seem to look like some sort of listener related problem.

LeeE