On Saturday 16 December 2006 16:34, Martin Spott wrote:
> alexis bory wrote:
> >    The second problem I would like to address is to permit the modeling
> > of rather complex weapons system. Most modern warbirds have a bunch off
> > controls related to weapons, and at least several triggers on the stick,
> > often there are some more on the throttle. We haven't the features for
> > combat simulation yet, [...]
>
> You probably should keep in mind that FlightGear, as the name says, is
> a "Flight" simulation, not a combat simulation, and I vote for keeping
> things this way.
> So if you intend to alter the layout of keyboard controls, please don't
> forget that the most prominent keys should still remain reserved for
> operating the aircraft itself and not for weapon systems.
>
> Regards,
>       Martin.

I've been giving some thought to a modal key mapping scheme for all or just a
section of the k/b.  For example, the k/b could be set up so that the left
hand keys have constant functions i.e. necessary fundamental operations but
the right hand keys would have different functions depending on the mode i.e.
specific instrument controls such as radios or radar etc or even weapons
systems.

LeeE