On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Maik Justus wrote:

>> So what's your plan here? Add optional /external/ control of a thruster?
>>
> Adding a hinch objects to YASim, which can be connected to a tow. The
> other end of the tow can be connected to a fixed position or an
> AI/MP-Object. The length of the tow can be modified (-> winch).

There may be problems with sampling interference here:

In an equilibrium, the force is the same at both ends of the wire.
(we will never reach an equilibrium)

If one aircraft accelrates/turns (which they will, of course) there will be
a change in force which (irl) will travel along the wire with a certain
speed (speed of sound for the material, I'd guess, for pure longitudinal
forces along the wire anyway), and so on back and forth.

The wire must have a property analoguos to the concept of "impedance" in
electronic engineering. Then there will be an eternal recalculating of
force at each end, which travels over the wire to the other, added to the
fdm calculation there and the new force vector value is sent back out on
the wire and added to the wire's own force calculations before it reaches
the other aircraft/cargo model, etc etc

Now, the time it takes for a wave to traverse along the wire to the other
end may be shorter than can be modelled even with the 120Hz default fdm
frame rate and, quite likely, shorter than the sampling rate in the current
MP-server system (10Hz?). We may run into a "jitter" similar to the
notorious gear jitter... Or forced to use wires that are unrealistically
"rubbery".

> Yes, but we need a cargo-fdm.

Any fdm engine that can take an external force into account can be used for
modelling cargo. (Could even use existing models: a ch53 can easily
airlift a bo105 or a light winged aircraft) A standard box-shaped shipping
container, a big log, or a section of a power line tower etc are all just
"aircrafts" with really lousy L/D ratios and no engines (on).

> Yes. But if it is released by one aircraft, the tow will be ignored by
> the other aircraft.

Anyway, my point was that the towing wire shouldn't be viewed as a simple
submodel of either the towed or the towing model since the towing wire can
be released at either end first, and then produce drag/weight force on only
the remaining aircraft, whichever model ends up with the wire. (The drag
from the line can be substantial. The woing lines they use for aerotowing
hang gliders with trikes, are even fit with a drag parachute to prevent the
line from snapping into the trike's propeller on release, or if the rear
weak link snaps.)

> Do you know, if this is already possible in Flightgear?

Well what do I know? ;)  But it seems to me this is really an issue of
architecture of all FG, perhaps more so more than fdm engine design.

> Yes, you can add a thruster and YASim can simulate glieders as it is.
> But with a very small patch (adding a glide angle to approach and
> cruise) you don't need the thruster fake any longer.

Alright, same thing but more convenient. ;)
(That's what we have computers for: computing tedious calculations that
we'd rather not be doing ourselves.)