On 01/07/2007 01:25 PM, Martin Spott wrote:

>>[...] For my purposes (and
>>I suspect a lot of other purposes besides), is much more useful
>>to be able to warp to some improvised place, without ever having
>>been there before.
>

> Without ever having been there before I'd say you'll never know in
> which state the aircraft is supposed to be in,

Well, I'd say differently, based on a lot of recent experience
doing it, using my new version of the locate-in-air popup.

Physics says it ought to work:  I start out (on the ground or
in the air) with a reasonable power setting and reasonable
trim settings, I can give myself a new altitude, a new XY
position, a new heading, and/or a new airspeed ... and it
just works.  Try it sometime.

The garbage-in-garbage-out principle applies:  If you relocate
yourself into the air before starting the engines, you'll have
a few moments of excitement dealing with the consequences.
Similarly, if you dictate a new airspeed that is inconsistent
with your elevator trim setting, you'll get some additional
excitement.

It should be particularly obvious that air-to-air relocation
should just work.  Air "here" looks a lot like air "there".