On Thursday 25 January 2007 13:07, AJ MacLeod wrote:
> On Thursday 25 January 2007 03:57, Brian Penix wrote:
> > Now on to the real reason for this post. I have access to loads of data
> > for the B-29 Super Fortress mostly dealing with the electrical components
> > used and the meters for control panels. I have been crawling all over the
> > wiki (and will continue to do so even though I hate wikis) for how to
> > make these meters for the B-29 (especially for the currently
> > non-functional Engineer's station) look more authentic.
>
> The first point of contact with things like this should be the original
> model author (or this list if you can't find their details).  The b29 is
> Josh Babcock's work so you would be best getting in touch with him directly
> if you can (his email address is in the README file)... but he may be busy
> at the moment, I'm still waiting to hear back from him myself (hint hint
> Josh :-)

Doh! Reading is fundamental...I will contact Josh as soon as I have something
ready to go then....

> > The problem is that I don't really write code
> > very well but I can do the correct meter artwork based on documented
> > sources. (I already have one such meter artwork done but don't know what
> > to do with it).
>
> You need to use a 3d modelling package (I like AC3D, but Blender is free,
> open source and extremely powerful if you get along with it) to create /
> modify or manipulate the instrument that the face belongs to (i.e. to make
> sure it has the correct shape /number of hands etc)

I have blender installed (I run Linux here) and working but to be honest it is
WAY over my head at the moment. I looked at AC3D yesterday and it doesn't
look as daunting but is still over my head. I am used to 2D image
manipulation and now have to get my thick head around 3D.

> You then need to create an XML file to control the animation of it (if it's
> to be a working gauge).  That instrument-specific XML file then needs to be
> included by the main model XML file.  It sounds awfully complicated and
> long-winded, but once you understand what's going it really isn't.  By far
> the best way to get to grips with this stuff is to look at existing
> instruments and see how they're done - in the b29, check the
> Instruments/jrb-wbd-clock.xml file for example, which controls the clock.
> You can open the jrb-wbd-clock.ac in Blender or AC3D and check it over...
> you should probably start with an existing instrument like this and modify
> it to suit your needs.

I have taken your advice and am working with the clock until I feel
comfortable working with the tools. This  is going to take some time since I
really am a slow learner. Once I do get something it stick though....

> Anyway, I'm sure that even just the gauge faces ("artwork") would be very
> welcome, even if you never managed to figure out the rest (which I'm sure
> anyone can do, given a bit of effort).

Well, I can be the test case since I have never touched any any of this
before... :-) At the least it is going to be a big learning experience! The
artwork is the easy part for me it is the other stuff that is killing me.
Anyway, thanks for the pointers and I'll try to get hold of Josh when I get
something concrete.

Brian