I know this is going to get me in trouble. Perhaps we have it backwards...

The "environment" is a not an active computing element, it merely exists
and does not care about the objects in it.
It effects the objects but has no knowledge of the objects.  rather the
objects sense the environment and its state based on their location in
the environment.  (We can argue that the objects in turn change the
enviroment, but that is akin to computing the center of mass of the
sun/earth system.)  Sooo..

Seems we should treat the weather data as a set of points equally spaced
and distributed that contain the relevant information and define a 3D
field. Any object flying through the field could then based on its
location select two or more data points and using whatever algorithm
desired compute a local condition.

The field could be static, homogeneous, cyclical, monotonic, whatever.
The object would only care about its location in the field, not how the
field is created, updated, or rates of change.

A seperate application/thread would then be responsible for creating and
updating the field in whatever fashion deemed appropriate.  The field
could be organized as a set of volumes and managed in a manner similar
to the scenery tiles.  Volumes would contain associated METAR stations
or whatever for computing data points which would then be merged with
the existing field.

Regards
John W.