Holger Wirtz wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 05:49:48PM +0000, Steve Hosgood wrote:
> [...]
>
>>> So, Holger, if you arrange that all "radio transmission" packets in FG/MP
>>> carry the transmitter's wattage and the location of the source, you can
>>> work
>>> out the straight-line distance from yourself (call it 'd'), and then do
>>> something like:
>>>    pkt = get_packet();
>>>    d = sqrt(sqr(my_x - pkt->x) + sqr(my_y - pkt->y) + sqr(my_alt -
>>> pkt->alt));
>>>    if (sqrt(pkt->transmitter_power)/d < my_receiver_sensitivity)
>>>          /* I can't hear this guy */
>>>          chuck_packet(pkt);
>>>    else
>>>          decode_packet(pkt);
>>> This sort of thing would maybe allow ATC (who might have more sensitive
>>> radios) to hear people that the local Cessna pilots can't hear. And that
>>> might
>>> be quite realistic.
>>>

> The problem with a more sensitive radio is that real radio communication
> is unidirectional and my implementaion using VoIP is bidirectional based
> on conference rooms (a star topology). The range decision is made on the
> position of the plane towards the position of the tower. If this range
> is outside a specified range calculation (see your formula :-) and
> perhaps a threshold detection) the "plane"-client hangs up the "line".
>
> For the ATC this means that he can hear _every_ voice traffic on his
> frequency (he has an infinite sensitive radio). Because frequencies are
> often more than one time occupied (world wide) the "virtual frequency" is
> a combination of ICAO and frequency.
>

>>> To improve things, you might like to make sure that the straight-line
>>> distance 'd' between yourself and the transmitter does not get close to
>>> ground. You'd have to factor in curvature of the earth and any mountains if
>>> you wanted to get it right. If the straight line gets within a couple of
>>> wavelengths of ground, you start getting attenuation and multipath
>>> distortion
>>> and all sorts of stuff(*). For a first cut, ignore all that and just use
>>> 'd'!
>>> Notice also how you could arrange to degrade packets if they get received
>>> very close to your receiver's sensitivity (you could add noise, distortion
>>> etc) which again would add to realism. My code suggestion above just models
>>> an
>>> unrealistic sharp cutoff when the signal gets too weak, but IIRC aviation
>>> radio is AM deliberately because that's *not* how AM radio behaves as it
>>> nears
>>> the sensitivity limit.
>>>

> Ok, I see... your formula and a threshold detection for eliminating
> flapping should be a good practice.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Holger
>

>>> Steve.
>>> (*) The BBC (amongst others) have done a load of work in this area to do
> [...]
Hi,
I've had a chance to review the path loss formulae

Very simply, the height factors of the TX and Rx aerials is only used to
translate what might be an oblique angle into a horizontal distance, in
all reality when ATC becomes important the path distance between point
to point and terrestial distance can be ignored.
The frequency factor can be formed into a constant mid-band freq of say
118Mhz
As has been stated, the rain attenuation etc can be ignored as being
insignificant at VHF
Assume standard TX power of 25W ( I stand corrected 25W= 14dBW or 34dBm
...not 17/37)
Assume standard RX sensitivity of -114dBm for 12dB SINAD (roughly
translated signal to noise)
Assume all cable losses are balanced by aerial gains (eg no extra losses
or gains)

with all these assumptions a distance of
 461km pops out of the formulae.

what is perhaps more significant and can't be assumed or ignored is
co-channel interference (previously referred to as "clutter" I think)

as a starting point I would use 461 km and concentrate on simulating
clutter or doubling and maybe making distant signals more noisy ( double
the noise for each extra 100 km)

Cheers
Dene