On Sun, 2007-02-25 at 16:19 -0700, Dave Perry wrote:

> What is contested is how to model the baro shift.  What you suggest is
> retrieve the indicated altitude and then subtract the PA to get the
> "encoder baro shift" and then add back in the PA.  This means the
> kap140.nas has to retrieve the value it cannot have in reality
> (indicated altitude) and wants to approximate from values it does have
> (PA and baro shift), and then create the value it needs to approximate
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Correction:  "values it does have (PA and baro setting)"

> (baro shift) from values it has by subtracting the PA and then add it
> back in???  This is very unrealistic!  The code to compute and save the
> baro shift using the atmos model is one line in c++ and uses a function
> I cannot call from Nasal. (see below).
>

> Summary proposed compromise:
> 1) Use an encoder instantiation (altimeter[1]) with quantum = 10 as well
> as altimeter[0] with quantum = 0.
> 2) Leave the 5 new lines to allow unambiguous service to autopilot use
> of the encoder.

John,
if you don't like the added 5 lines, why not just put the kollsman shift
on the property tree?  Then any autopilot can approximate the baro shift
by putting the baro setting
to /Instrumentation/altimeter[1]/setting-inhg and picking up the
kollsman shift for the baro shift.

At the start of this discussion, I thought you wanted just one model of
the atmosphere.  So it is a bad idea to have each autopilot use it's own
model.  Users are going to want to ignore different returned values for
different instantiations for "realism" reasons.

Regards,
--
Dave Perry