On Friday 06 April 2007 02:39:24 Csaba Halász wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Nick had some trouble with the tacan on the lightning, so I had a peek at
> it. Worked for me all right. However, the instrument needle works as if it
> were a fixed compass card indicator, which it isn't. So there should be an
> additional rotation applied to adjust for the a/c heading. Patch attached.
>
> Please check before commit. Pretty please? ;)
>
> I also have some issues:
> 1) The lightning even has an ILS instrument but I could not find a
> DME. Have I overlooked it?
> 2) How do you check if the tacan/vor/adf/whatever radio transmitter is
> in range? A digital display could go blank, but an instrument needle
> must point somewhere. Shouldn't there be an indicator light or
> something? Or is it just left to the pilot to listen for the morse
> code?
> 3) In the lightning rmi and hsi animations there are a couple of
> interpolation tables for identity transformation. Do they have any
> purpose?

OK, I still have issues with the Lightning TACAN.  I was getting angry in IRC
last night, as NOBODY ever sees the issues I do.

Now, to recap.  To get 'refueling_demo' to work (not refueling_demo_1/_2), I
had to <!--   --> out the demo in preferences.xml, and in lightning-set.xml
change the <ai> line to read from:

<scenario>refueling_demo_1</scenario>
to:
<scenario>refueling_demo</scenario>

All well and good.  I now have a tanker circling over KSFO, and I can refuel
with it!  BUT the TACAN green needle always points in the vertical direction.

Looking at the property browser, instrumentation/tacan/in-range is always
false.  Plus the AI aircraft has no TACAN channel-id?

So, looking at the data/AI/refueling_demo.xml, I see it doesn't have a
channel-id?

But adding a channel-id still didn't work... but then changing call-sign
from 'ESSO 2' to 'ESSO1' did!

-     <callsign>ESSO 2</callsign>
+   <callsign>ESSO1</callsign>
+   <TACAN-channel-ID>040X</TACAN-channel-ID>

Now in this scenerio the green needle works, although I am still not sure what
it is telling me... that is another issue, I think.

Nick